HAPPY HALLOWEEN FOLKS. For about the sixth time I’ve decided blogging is a good idea, so here goes nothing…
Love or hate Halloween, who cares. Everyone loves chocolate… and cake so shut up.
Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream:
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Eat them like a greedy witch!
10.5 oz caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract/ 1/2 a vanilla pod
6.75 oz plain flour
1.5 oz cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1.Preheat the oven to 190C/ 375F and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Beat the butter until it is pale and then add the sugar and continue to beat for 2 minutes. (Hand or stand mixer, both work well)
3. Beat the vanilla into the eggs and slowly add them about 1 teaspoon at a time.
4. Sieve the flour, salt, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl
5. Combine buttermilk and water in a jug.
6. Add dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
7. Once everything has been combined, fill each liner until they are 2/3s full. (You may get less than 24 cupcakes)
8. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and let the pan cool for ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
12oz icing sugar
8oz softened butter
1-2 tbs whipping cream
1. Beat the butter until light and fluffy
2. Slowly add the icing sugar
3. Add vanilla and whipping cream. (you may not need all of it, add it until your desired consistency.
1. I used sugarflair colours in my icing and petal paste decorations. But sprinkles would also work well.
2. To ice your cakes like mine follow this tutorial: http://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/