There is a reason that nuts and chocolate are a timeless sweet combination, they just work. If something ain’t broke and so on and so forth. Florentine Sable is a prime example of this. A short, crumbly biscuit base covered with the delicious almond topping reminiscent of a florentine treat.
Chocolate Sable Base
1. 250g Plain flour
2. 50g Cocoa powder
3. 185g Unsalted butter, softened
4. 140g Icing sugar (Sieved)
5. 25g Whole egg
1. 20 ml Whipping cream
2. 65g Unsalted butter
3. 65g Caster Sugar
4. 65g Liquid glucose
5. 130g Flaked almonds
6. 20g ground Almonds
1. Firstly make the sable dough. Do this well in advance so there is time for it to rest and chill in the fridge. So, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add in the egg and then fold in the flour and cocoa powder until it is just incorporated. If you over mix the biscuit base will be tough.
3. Roll the dough out into a flat disk and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
4. Once the dough has been chilled roll it out to fit a 9×13 cm tin and pierce the dough lightly with a fork. ( This will allow the air to escape while cooking so the dough won’t rise.
5. Chill the dough in the tin for a further 30 minutes. At this point preheat the oven at 180C.
6. Bake the dough for about 20 minutes.
7. Whilst the dough is baking make the topping. In a pan put the cream, butter, sugar and glucose and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds.
8. Once the dough has been baking for 20 minutes remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 200C. Pour the almond mix on the base and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before cutting into 2×2 cm squares.
10. Enjoy more than one with a glass of cold milk!